Private Bus-Owners Call Off Strike

Private Bus-Owners Call Off Strike
Please follow and like us:
Facebook
RSS
Follow by Email
Google+
http://www.lankac.news/private-bus-owners-call-off-strike/
LinkedIn
Twitter

The strike scheduled for today(15) by the Lanka Private Bus Owners’ Association (LPBOA) has been called off, Chairman Gemunu Wijeyratne said. The strike was suspended following discussions held between Minister of Finance Ravi Karunanayake and private bus and three wheel associations.

The decision came after talks with the Finance Minister.  Following the discussion Wijeyratne told the media that the Finance Minister had told him that his remark about the minimum fine had been misrepresented.

He said the Minister had promised to look into the matter.

The Secretary of the All Island Three-Wheel Owners Association Sunil Jayaruk also said the Finance Minister agreed to refrain from increasing the minimum fine for the violation of road regulations.

Private bus-owners on Friday (11) threatened action if the government didn’t revise a proposed increased fine for traffic offenses.

At a press conference yesterday(14), the The Private Bus Owners’ Association said  they would go ahead with the planned strike tomorrow, if the government did not respond to their demands to withdraw the proposed minimum traffic fine of Rs.2,500.

Addressing the media at the press-conference, they expressed disappointment at the Budget 2017, for not paying significant attention on public transportation.

“We are less worried about the minimum fine. What we are really worried about is the lack of facilities given to the private buses, that contribute a 60% to the public transportation in Sri Lanka,” he said.

 

Please follow and like us:
Facebook
RSS
Follow by Email
Google+
http://www.lankac.news/private-bus-owners-call-off-strike/
LinkedIn
Twitter

Leave a Reply