Meethotamulla Garbage Dump Landslide Death Toll Rises To 19

Meethotamulla Garbage Dump Landslide Death Toll Rises To 19
Please follow and like us:
Facebook
RSS
Follow by Email
Google+
http://www.lankac.news/meethotamulla-garbage-dump-landslide-death-toll-rises-to-19/
LinkedIn
Twitter

The death toll following the collapse of a section of the garbage dump in Meethotamulla has increased to 19 as more bodies have been recovered.  The Emergency workers looking for survivors after a massive rubbish dump collapsed have extracted 19 bodies from the rubble and mud.

Meethotamulla-garbage-dumpThe military spokesman Brigadier Roshan Seneviratne stated that five children are among the deceased.  The number of females among the victims has now increased to seven.

Twelve persons are still receiving treatment at the Colombo National hospital, according to police.  Dozens of homes collapsed after heavy rains overnight caused the garbage mountain to shift, officials said.

The 300-foot-high (90-metre) dump in Meethotamulla, Colombo collapsed after flames engulfed it late on Friday (14), the New Year Day, and witnesses said around 100 houses could have been buried.

The police said they were investigating whether the landslide was natural or man-made. They also said about 145 houses had been damaged.

 

Please follow and like us:
Facebook
RSS
Follow by Email
Google+
http://www.lankac.news/meethotamulla-garbage-dump-landslide-death-toll-rises-to-19/
LinkedIn
Twitter

Leave a Reply